Nov 19, 2010

letters

When I think about Jake and me, and what I treasure, I immediately think of our letters.  Letters we wrote to each other over the course of a summer.  We hadn't even been dating for a year when Jake left for an internship in Alaska.  It was the longest summer of my life!


 Alaska is a big place, and he was in a remote area with limited access to a telephone or computer.  So we stayed in touch the old-fashioned way with letters - handwritten on paper and mailed with a stamp on an addressed envelope.  I looked forward to the mail delivery each day, but it wasn't until we got married that I realized how much I treasured those letters.  They are a part of our history together.  We often wrote about our daily happenings (not too exciting) but we also shared dreams and hopes for the future.  


I also have to tell you that Jake had always planned to head to the wilderness and live a very isolated life.  You know - at one with nature, hunting and gathering, survival skills, etc.  Kind of like Jeremiah Johnson.  :)  So when he boarded that plane in Kansas City with his wilderness gear and his guitar, I was a little nervous he might just stay in Alaska.  But he didn't.  He actually decided that civilization wasn't so bad - in small amounts of course.  I was so happy that my mountain man returned home to Kansas.
  

Fast forward seven years and here we are - celebrating five years of marriage.
It's been full of excitement, love, and change.
I am blessed to have such a wonderful husband.
 Happy anniversary!

I love you Jake!




2 comments:

  1. I'm glad Jake came back too. It would stink if you both were in Alaska. He can be 'Jeremiah Johnson' when we get old and hike the App. Trail. :)

    Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for leaving a message. it's always nice to hear from you!