Jul 27, 2010

self sufficient

Since I am trying to learn something new everyday about blogging, today I thought I would try adding a link.
Here I go...

My mother-in-law sent me this great article about community canneries. I wish I was located near one of them. Jake and I have always dreamed of living in the country and becoming as self sufficient as possible, but we are a long way from that right now. We do however have our first garden this year (thanks to my husband) and it is great. It is also producing large quantities of veggies. We do our best to eat them fresh, and then freeze or share what is left. But if I had access to a community cannery I think I would definitely be canning.

Here are the reasons I do not currently can anything:
  • I have an incredibly small kitchen
  • I have never canned anything before by myself
  • I have no canning supplies or equipment
  • I do not have extra days to spend processing food
I think canning is great for many reasons and would definitely prefer it over freezing. Freezing works, but we quickly run out of room in our freezer, we don't have extra money or space for a deep freezer, and you still need to use power to run the appliance. So if you are one of the lucky folks who live near a community cannery, I am quite envious.


1 comment:

  1. Last year, I did some canning for the first time ever and found it surprisingly easy. You really just need canning jars and a big pot to get started.

    I did pickled peppers, as that's about the least challenging thing to can.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for leaving a message. it's always nice to hear from you!